A recent addition to the holdings of the City of Richmond Archives is an album of aerial photographs taken from 1959 to 1962 showing industry on the South Arm of the Fraser River, at New Westminster, and on the Upper Fraser.
The album was created by the New Westminster Harbour Commission with aerial photographs taken by George Allen.
Images from 1959 depict Steveston Harbour and the wharves of what were Richmond’s three major industrial plants on the South Arm: Crown Zellerbach Paper Mill, Canada Rice Mills, and LaFarge Cement.
The photographs were taken in the same year that the Deas Island (George Massey) Tunnel was opened.
The 52 photographs in the album are among a larger number of images that have been recently scanned as part of the ongoing Archives digitization program.